View Single Post
Old 07-30-2008, 10:21 AM   #366
Peter Sorotokin
speaking for myself
Peter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it is

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
For the chapter headers: previously, they were designed purely with sizes in em. This caused a few problems: with a very large font, the numbers couldn't be displayed on the same line and it pushed the title of the chapter to the right. Since this graphic element doesn't necessarily need to scale like the rest of the text, I moved this element from em to px. It'll always be displayed at the same size from now and should fix all the problems.
I would suggest using points or millimeters instead. Pixels on Sony mean real device pixels, if I remember it right. This is not sustainable for high-res devices and at some point the meaning of pixels will change.

Quote:
Margins are a different issue. In CSS, I can't control the top or bottom margin of a page (I need to CSS3 paged media module for this). Because of this, I decided to add an Adobe extension to all files on Feedbooks, with default values for the margin and multi-column display. Now, the problem is with those little numbers displayed on the right. If I add a CSS margin, they're displayed in the margin. But if I add a margin using XSL-FO (XPGT) they're displayed in the text area, rather than the margin, and they may be displayed over the text sometimes.
XPGT is OK, but not necessary in this case. We do have some paged media support. You can use CSS @page rule:

@page { margin: ... }

But in general, when people mention CSS3 in eBooks, my brain starts hurting. The current push in web standards seems to go in the direction of making it so convoluted that you'd have to be a pretty big organization dedicated exclusively to implementing that stuff to be on top of it. There are already more C++ experts than CSS experts, I think, and it's getting only worse.

Peter
Peter Sorotokin is offline   Reply With Quote