View Single Post
Old 10-04-2018, 03:24 AM   #12
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
I enjoyed the book, though I also think it is a quite unremarkable story of romantic obsession. I have little doubt that had I read it in the 50's when it was originally published the Lesbian relationship would have been far more significant to me. It is reminiscent of our discussion of Never Let Me Go in the sense that astrangerhere suggested that that work could be regarded as abolitionist literature, taking a very emotional approach to portray the clones as fully human in the pursuit of abolishing the practice and of equal rights. Can this book be regarded as abolitionist type literature in relation to the discrimination against lesbian or even same sex relationships generally? I think the answer to that question is yes. Therese and Carol and their relationship was portrayed very sympathetically. I would think that it would cause an intelligent reader steeped in the conventional morals of society at that time to at least think about their views. But today, with the battle for acceptance largely won, at least in the western world, the book has for most modern readers lost the impact which lifted it above the ordinary.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote