View Single Post
Old 08-05-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcamp47 View Post
Since I started with eBooks I have had my entire calibre installation, including library on my laptop. This is convenient, however it is also short-sighted. If the laptop sleeps I miss scheduled news fetching, for example, and I am unable to connect, obviously, to the content server from my android cell--which is inconvenient. The solution was right in front of my face. I have an always-on/always-connected desktop computer (Vista-32 unfortunately). It would be sensible to move the entire calibre installation to the desktop. Question is, what's the best way to do this? I'd like to keep all my settings, etc. from the original installation on the laptop so that there would be no discernible difference between the new and old installations. Thoughts?
This is best done working with the same revision of Calibre in both places

Just treat it like a backup with a restore on the new computer .

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html#id50 do (make a copy) both

Install Calibre on your new computer.
remember the name of the Library folder.
Locate the settings folder (Preferences: Miscellaneous: (click the button) writer the location down.

Now Exit Calibre.
Your are going to copy the CONTENTS of the (backup) Library folder into the New library folder.
You are going to copy the settings overwriting those that are there.

Start Calibre.
Extra user-plugins will probably need to be re-installed.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote