View Single Post
Old 03-27-2023, 02:05 AM   #31
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
I certainly do, for names and locations. If I can't say it in my head - full stop. I re-read the word over and over until I can. This is probably why I don't read as much fantasy as I'd like. Some of the character names can throw me into an endless loop.
This sounds very strange to me.

Perhaps one of the reasons I don't do anything like this is that I've been reading translated books with strange names since early childhood. Estonian children's books too, of course, but a lot of the books I read as a child were translated from English, French, Russian and from many other languages. I had no idea how to pronounce the foreign names in them and so I didn't even try, I just read. I never acquired the habit to figure out the pronunciation.

I imagine children in the English-speaking countries read fewer translated books, though I might be wrong in this.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote