View Single Post
Old 12-21-2019, 12:05 AM   #30
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
It is quartz, but I never really did understand (still don't) the need for a mechanical watch that requires maintenance and still cannot keep time accurately.
I think it's nostalgia mostly. And appreciation of fine machinery. A mechanical watch simply cannot keep up with a quartz watch for accuracy however. Quartz is nice too, because if it's not right on the money the rate of time drift is very predictable. This is not generally true for a mechanical watch, and it will cost you a decent amount of money to obtain one that has a predictable rate of losing/gaining time. Predictable time drift is extremely important in celestial navigation (although about as many people still navigate like that as use mechanical watches).

I was looking to buy myself a nice watch a while back, but in the meantime I bought myself a cheap Casio to get me by while I shopped around for a "real" watch. But that cheap little Casio ($15!) grew on me, because it is spot on. I set it at the last Daylight Savings Time switch (Nov 3rd) and today (Dec 20th) it is exactly one second fast. I am not going to complain about that accuracy out of a $15 watch! The thing is 100% plastic, with a cheap crystal that will scratch on you, but it certainly keeps time well.

Oh, I see my watch is up to $20 on Amazon now:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005JVP0LE...v_ov_lig_dp_it

I still intend to buy me a much higher end watch some day, but I'm pretty sure whatever I buy will be a step down in accuracy compared to this inexpensive Casio. Price does not get you better accuracy these days...

Last edited by haertig; 12-21-2019 at 04:33 PM.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote