View Single Post
Old 09-13-2019, 10:45 PM   #2
SteveEisenberg
Wizard
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Fire HD 8 (2016)
Quote:
Patrons might find, when loading up their e-readers and apps, that there are more than enough non-Macmillan books out there to go around.
It won't make the slightest difference to me. If the book is on a subject that interests me, and I read a positive newspaper review -- or if my wife asks me for it, maybe after hearing about it on NPR -- we'll still reserve it. How long the wait is has nothing to do with whether we reserve an eBook. (And it none of the libraries we have cards for have it, as determined by the Calibre add-in search tool, I'll try again in a month or two, and then try again after that.)

Now, I don't think the bean counters at Macmillan are idiots. There will be a certain number of impatient readers, able to afford to pay full price, who will read the same review, be dissatisfied when they see what the library wait time is, and will then buy the book.

I've seen some underfunded libraries where you walk in and find hardly any books from the past decade or so. This is bad. You should be able to read a biography, of a current national leader, before he or she leaves office. But two months seems to me insignificant for non-fiction (and a year would be insignificant for fiction).

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 09-14-2019 at 07:53 AM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote