View Single Post
Old 10-30-2021, 12:05 PM   #1
megabyted
megabyted began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021
Kindle Paperwhite 2021 - update covers

Hi - I'm using Calibre 5.31.1 and a new 2021 Kindle Paperwhite that's running on firmware 5.14.0.1.

I transferred my entire library to the new device via USB, but upon transferring I realized there are a few covers that could use updating/upgrading. So in Calibre, I updated those covers in the metadata. And again, the books already exist on the Kindle. I thought updating them in Calibre might automatically update them on the device but that does not seem to be the case (despite connecting and disconnecting, Wifi on/off, etc).

So the next step I did was once the Kindle was connected to Calibre, I went to the Device panel. When I scrolled through some of the books whose covers I'd updated in my library - I could see the old covers in the device pane. From there, I'd click Match Book To Library - and the cover seemed to update in the Device pain. And just to be sure, I clicked "update cached metadata on device" as well, and let that process (quickly finish). Now, in the Device pane, I see all the new covers I'd updated in my Calibre library.

However, once I disconnect the Kindle - none of those cover adjustments seem to have happened. Any idea why? If I reconnect the Kindle and look in the amazon-cover-bug folder, I can confirm that it's still the old, non-updated covers in there - it doesn't seem as though Calibre has replaced them with their updated versions.

Is there a step I'm missing? Anything I'm doing wrong? I guess I could delete the books in question from Kindle and re-add via Calibre - but I was hoping that updating covers in Calibre would eventually get them to the Kindle as described above.

Any advice would be appreciated!
megabyted is offline   Reply With Quote