View Single Post
Old 01-07-2008, 09:37 PM   #45
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
There are files posted to MobileRead now that could be considered duplications of effort. Look at some of the files HarryT has been releasing, where he has put substantial effort into proofing and correcting the source text to produce a more accurate version. It's probably faster and simpler to create a whole new release than to try to correct and existing one in such a case.
Of course. But why increase the probability for it?

And if you are proofing a text it must be better to start with a version you have proofed three times already then start from scratch.

Quote:
Phil countered by creating PKZip, with a completely different archive format. He explicitly dedicated the Zip format to the public domain, so anyone could create software to create and manipulate Zip files, and many folks have done so. Open source products called zip and unzip have been available for Unix/Linux/BSD for years.
When I installed a zip program in Windows it said something about not being free and I was unsure if I could use it to create files to distribute. But I might just have downloade the wrong version or misread something.

Quote:
I'm startled you just discovered you could create zip files under Linux.
I am really a Unix and open source (or GNU) person and only uses Windows under protest... So I usually send tar files to people asking for zip files (rar-program can unpack them).

Quote:
No. It allows you to compress them. It you have MobiPocket Creator, it's assumed you have the source texts, and you can do another build at will. There's no reason for it to decompress the files.
Of course there can be reasons. If you have lost your source files for example. So there are no non-third part programs that unpacks a MobiPocket file.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote