View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010, 11:08 PM   #103
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
you are very welcome ! i hope you enjoy it. thanks so much for the kind words !
You're absolutely welcome, Zelda.

I find your file an enormously pleasing piece of layout in any context; the fact that it's been done in a technology that very few seem able to employ impressively, and has the added twinkle of being almost completely arcane to me, and that your coding is proving to be so robustly portable ... look, I don't mean to sound fawning, but for me that makes it utterly gobsmacking. I'd previously seen screenshots of your ePub all over the web, whenever people were talking about e.books and their reading devices, obviously holding your coding up as an example of "Just What Can Be Done With The Format", without my knowing where it had come from, and without credit being given to you. (That's the darker side of public domain efforts, to my way of thinking. If people aren't directly required to acknowledge someone's work, they generally don't bother giving the publishing space over to making the gesture freely.) It throws a curious light on commercial e.book products, of which I have several now, and have never seen one that came close to your efforts in layout. Different books need different looks, obviously, but so many instances of commercial electronic publishing seem to take a "near enough is good enough" approach to their products that it disgusts me.

So, my sincere congratulations, Zelda, and thanks for the delight you've provided.

On a happier note, I was beaming (and a little relieved, I admit) to see that it translated beautifully onto the iRiver Story, a device that has proved quite robust and pleases me immensely, but that does have shortcomings in the way it handles some of the formats it purports to support. (I've read enough of these forums now to realise that all e.readers seem to, in their own way.) I don't have the means for creating a screenshot of your book displayed on the Story, but it looks as good as any of the examples I've seen posted here from other devices. Thanks so much!
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote