View Single Post
Old 04-05-2011, 08:48 PM   #35
Adiposius Maximus
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics View Post
1) First, the research point. I need to use Maple/Mathematica for my research, which means I'd be lugging my computer around with me anyway (and no, no one should even try get Maple/Mathematica running on the Edge!). I think a lot of us in the sciences/engineering are in that boat- because of what we need for research, we won't be able to just carry around the Edge instead of a laptop. So there's not much of an advantage to the second screen...and it adds weight and decreases the battery life. So a dual book isn't for us- why do I bother listing this? I think this is important, because I at least get the impression that we science/engineering people are more likely to be into gadgets and stumble across the Edge.
Assuming you have dial-in access to a computer workstation cluster, which I assume would be the case for most graduate programs in physics, some of this can be worked around by using an Android SSH client like ConnectBot to dial in and access the command-line version of Maple or Matlab. (As a math grad student myself, I've had to do this a few times in a pinch.) Obviously you lose the graphical interface and plotting capabilities, which may be what you need, but the core functionality remains.