View Single Post
Old 06-17-2017, 01:40 PM   #2770
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
I was curious after reading about the problems of the PNGs on the homepage. So I created a collection of the PNGs which I called KSM and tapped on one of the PNGs to "open" it so that the collection would appear on Nickel's homepage on my KA1.

What I discovered was that if I include the "switchtokoreader" PNG in the collection and then tap on it, I will be taken the KSM homepage. However, if I try to return to Nickel from there it won't let me. It just redirects me back to the KSM homepage.

The only way to get back to Nickel was to power my KA1 off and then start it again so that it would launch into Nickel. A nuisance, but not a problem.

I then removed the "switchtokoreader" PNG from the collection and powered off and on again. This time, while in Nickel, I opened up my KSM collection and tapped on "exit_nickel" which brought me to the KSM homepage. And from there, there was no problem launching into either Nickel or Koreader.

So there does seem to be some issue with having the "switchtokoreader" PNG on the new homepage (at least on a KA1 running FW 4.4.9298). So, instead of using that PNG to switch to koreader, I now use the "exit_nickel" PNG which achieves the same result without locking me out of Nickel.

I'm really glad I did this little experiment because it is handy having my KSM collection readily accessible on the Nickel homepage as I also like using the comfort light while reading with Koreader.
Thank you for your report. I am not sure what exactly is happening.
I have all KSM pngs in a collection, and everything works fine. So maybe by comparing some things we can figure out what causes the problem. I try to describe the points that I think might be of relevance for our problem.

On my nickle home:
In the first row there are four tiles, the first three tiles are of .epub files. Since these epub files have no dedicated title page, they tiles show the "title pages" generated by nickel. The forth tile shows the exit_nickle.png.

In the second row there is the "My Books" block consisting of three black tiles. Maybe they are black because the corresponding epub files do not have dedicated title pages. I do not know.

In the second row there is further a block referring to the KSM pngs collection. It showes the tiles of the restart_nickel.png, toggle_nightmode_png, and poweroff.png.

These are the related thumbnails that nickel has created:
Spoiler:
.kobo-images\39\95\
file____mnt_onboard_kbmenupngs_poweroff_png - N3_FULL.parsed
file____mnt_onboard_kbmenupngs_poweroff_png - N3_LIBRARY_FULL.parsed
file____mnt_onboard_kbmenupngs_poweroff_png - N3_LIBRARY_GRID.parsed

.kobo-images\103\166\
file____mnt_onboard_kbmenupngs_toggle_nightmode_pn g - N3_FULL.parsed
file____mnt_onboard_kbmenupngs_toggle_nightmode_pn g - N3_LIBRARY_FULL.parsed
file____mnt_onboard_kbmenupngs_toggle_nightmode_pn g - N3_LIBRARY_GRID.parsed

.kobo-images\39\1\
file____mnt_onboard_kbmenupngs_simulate_usb_connec tion_png - N3_FULL.parsed
file____mnt_onboard_kbmenupngs_simulate_usb_connec tion_png - N3_LIBRARY_FULL.parsed
file____mnt_onboard_kbmenupngs_simulate_usb_connec tion_png - N3_LIBRARY_GRID.parsed

.kobo-images\231\208\
file____mnt_onboard_kbmenupngs_run_test_script_png - N3_FULL.parsed
file____mnt_onboard_kbmenupngs_run_test_script_png - N3_LIBRARY_FULL.parsed
file____mnt_onboard_kbmenupngs_run_test_script_png - N3_LIBRARY_GRID.parsed

.kobo-images\135\255\
file____mnt_onboard_kbmenupngs_exit_nickel_png - N3_FULL.parsed
file____mnt_onboard_kbmenupngs_exit_nickel_png - N3_LIBRARY_FULL.parsed
file____mnt_onboard_kbmenupngs_exit_nickel_png - N3_LIBRARY_GRID.parsed

.kobo-images\135\148\ ## strangely there is no ... N3_LIBRARY_FULL.parsed
file____mnt_onboard_kbmenupngs_switchtokoreader_pn g - N3_FULL.parsed
file____mnt_onboard_kbmenupngs_switchtokoreader_pn g - N3_LIBRARY_GRID.parsed

.kobo-images\167\80\ ## this does not belong to the default KSM pngs
file____mnt_onboard_kbmenupngs_restart_nickel_png - N3_FULL.parsed
file____mnt_onboard_kbmenupngs_restart_nickel_png - N3_LIBRARY_FULL.parsed
file____mnt_onboard_kbmenupngs_restart_nickel_png - N3_LIBRARY_GRID.parsed

By the way, the switchtokoreader.png is supposed to be used only if nickel was launched by "koreader additions" > "start nickel koreader switch" or "start koreader nickel switch." Then switchtokoreader.png starts koreader directly, rather then bringing you back to the KSM home. Since switchtokoreader.png seems to create problem on your device, you better do not try this function right now.

Last edited by tshering; 06-17-2017 at 01:46 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote