View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 02:44 AM   #13
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I spend ages trying to recall how I'd been taught to write - it's been so long since I wrote a (paper) letter - & I could not test myself to see what indenting comes naturally without thinking about what I "should" do ( the "don't think of an elephant " issue.. )

I did avoid putting my foot in it re newspaper extracts, I was all set to claim that printed newspapers use no indents + big paragraph spaces ( like they do online) but then I found a paper one...

I think that just leaves the question of fully justified. Handwritten notes will never be justified like proper typesetting but whether that should be replicated in a novel I am unsure. I don't like seeing ragged right margins, even though I just made a case for having them!

I like the printed book trick of changing font family for the "handwritten" bits but that'a pain to reproduce in e-books across a range of readers, I know.

I have another mild peeve where sections of text are italicised but then a word within that section is un-italicised for emphasis. I think that's ugly. but don't have an alternative to propose. I'm not sure if that happens in printed books but I've seen it in many e-books

Last edited by cybmole; 11-09-2012 at 02:46 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote