View Single Post
Old 10-06-2010, 12:20 AM   #10
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
This is a very sad story! As noted above, with ereaders and many other items that we have used and loved but end up selling for one reason or another, our main concern is that it find a good home. It's odd to have that kind of emotional investment in a material object, but it's how we are as human beings.

You are so right about the moral of this experience.

I try to remember constantly that largely, people are honest. Largely, people are good. Some percentage isn't, but you can't let that percentage sour you on all people.

My book is DRM-free, for instance, because I believe that MOST people will buy it at a low price rather than steal it. I am determined not to let the few people who buy it and then sell illegal copies...or give them away in mass quantities...ruin it for everyone else. I don't want to punish the majority for the acts of the minority.

I've made a number of transactions on eBay and my experience is largely positive. I honestly represent the item, the buyer pays me, and I send it promptly with uber-packaging to make sure it arrives intact. We have a social contract to deal with each other honestly. Still, I stopped dealing with eBay and PayPal because of their draconian withholding of payment when both parties were 100% satisfied with the transaction!

I would take it on faith that your ereader never reached the intended recipient. I'm so very sorry that things worked out poorly for you! It's too bad that a few rotten apples spoil things for the rest of us.

Jan
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote