View Single Post
Old 09-23-2015, 04:08 AM   #9
Stanley66
Stanley66 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindStanley66 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindStanley66 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindStanley66 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindStanley66 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindStanley66 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindStanley66 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindStanley66 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindStanley66 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindStanley66 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindStanley66 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Understood.

I do think it would be nice if someone with the right knowledge could help polish the UI -- after all, many people do value that (and would be more likely to use calibre), and it can only be a positive.

Another interesting idea that has nobody to bring it to life, is a Simplified mode.

Not really.
There are a few web frontends for ebooks (see the Calibre ==> Related Tools subforum) but that isn't the same thing at all. And they mostly read calibre's database...

That is odd.
Preferences ==> Miscellaneous ==> Open calibre configuration directory (button)
Should default to something like "~/Library/Application Support/calibre" I believe.

Is the configuration not being written for some reason?
Thanks, will try to play with configuration.
Can not agree more about a positive impact which UI design volunteer can make And Calibre Lite would be great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Maybe some of what you want is covered by the ePub QuickLook plugin? As long as the metadata is filled out properly, it'll show you the covers in Finder, and Spotlight will index the description contents (and I guess you could add Finder tags to categorize), if someone's filled out the blurb.

It works quite nicely for me in Yosemite (although it does mostly tend to show just how many of my ePubs don't have the metadata filled in correctly).
very interesting, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I don't think there is any good alternative. Unless the Kobo Desktop application would do? I haven't tried it myself (I don't have a Kobo device), but I'd expect it to be able to copy to your device.
Re Kobo Desktop, honestly, I haven't tried it either... but as far as I know (following the name) it just lets you to read Kobo Books on your desktop (and phone/tablet). If we talk just about copying books to Kobo device, there is no easiest way than drag n drop books to Kobo from Finder. And this is also suggested by Kobo as the main option..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickloraine View Post
If you want an easier interface, then you could tweak calibre a little. Maybe it will not look as pretty as you would like, but maybe this could work as a compromise. Just hide the tag browser and book detail pane and choose the cover-grid view. Then try one of the new icon themes. This is an example I did in like 3 mins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Honestly calibre is the way to go. You don't have hundreds of books yet, but you probably will. It is entirely possible you will end up wanting to manage them in collections, and/or work with annotations, and/or tweak them in some way. Start as you mean to go on, I say.

Post your problem in the Calibre forum. I am sure it is fixable.
If Calibre it the only way to go, I'll try to tweak it, thanks for the suggestion! Or I'll voloneer for UI design But now my goal is just to find more time for reading

Maybe it is a wrong post to ask, but does Calibre works with Kobo Collections? I found information only about shelves, but do not really understand it yet. It creates some folders in Kobo? Please excuse my ignorance.
Some time ago I've tried ADE and for the same ePub, which looks like one nice file on my mac and Kobo, when uploaded via Finder, ADE created a number of folders, which looks a bit messy..
Stanley66 is offline   Reply With Quote