View Single Post
Old 11-03-2010, 05:22 AM   #2
MaxLV
Connoisseur
MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Sony PRS650
Quote:
Originally Posted by emai7s2 View Post
I picked up a new Sony 650 along with a lighted cover yesterday. I'm very pleased with the feel of the machine and the quality of the screen. There are also some nice features I stumbled over such as a 'search' function, the screen savers and the ease of creating new 'collections' that make the unit a real pleasure to use and navigate.

I used Calibre to load about 100 ebooks into internal memory in a mix of formats - ePub, PDF and txt (leaving over 1GB free in internal memory). Transferring files via Calibre was very fast and easy.

Some PDF files displayed really well, some required a bit of zooming and playing around to read the text, some displayed blank pages only (that's kind of weird), while some refused to even open (can they be deleted somehow without connecting with the computer via USB?). The ePubs and text files all worked very well.

What bothers me is the frequency of freezes - I think I had to reset the 650 at least 50 times yesterday. I would tap and hold the title of an ebook, the icon would then reverse tones to indicate the ebook had been selected, and then the 650 would just hang. I would then briefly push the reset button and hold the on/off switch for about 5 or 10 seconds until the unit reset. I had to do this for almost every book I wanted to open. The first time I tried to open a 'new' book the unit would freeze, I would do a reset, and the second time the ebook would generally open. Really a pain. I'm guessing this is not common behavior? Is there a special way to open books - just a brief tap, or a tap and hold or something like that? The problem was mainly with PDFs, but I think a few ePubs caused the unit to freeze as well.

Tonight I will try to see that the unit gets a full charge, and keep my fingers crossed that it won't freeze up so frequently.

Any recommendations? Thanks!
Operator error...

There is no need to tap and hold the title of a book you want to open.

Just tap it once and wait for the book to open once the reader shows the book is selected and being opened.

My PRS 650 experience so far:
I have had my 650 since mid September (21st), spend anything up to 5 hours reading it a day, and it hasn't 'froze/locked up' once. (haven't had to reset it at all, and have only charged it twice, Including the first charge via USB from my computer.

The second charge was via a plug pack and the battery was still 75% full, but was being drained because I was seeing what the difference was between leaving it in sleep mode compared to powering it off between sessions.

After 4 days leaving it in sleep mode instaed of powering it off the battery had dropped to 75% full. Since then powering it off between sessions it hasn't moved off full at all, so I power it off completely between reading sessions, and dont bother with sleep mode at all.

All my books are loaded on a 4GB SD card via Calibre, I dont see the point using the main memory for storage.

The only downside I have found so far is being interupted when reading, by people wanting to know what it is, how it works, and how many books I have on it.
MaxLV is offline   Reply With Quote