View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 11:38 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandManSlim View Post
ok, so I re-uploaded my calibre library from my wifi device to the calibre library on my pc. I tried automatic management, and it is still taking around 40 - 50 minutes to send metadata.
On the laptop you were using, how long did this take? And what calibre version was it?
Quote:
It might be because I changed the tags(Im_reading) for every one of my books. The reason I am doing that is because the "im currently reading list" on my device doesn't show up correctly if I don't have the tags closed, read, or Im_currently reading tagged to all of my books). I was actually going off an earlier post that you made in another thread.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=192688
OK, that makes sense. The driver does an update for each book in one of these states. So, the more books, the longer it takes.
Quote:
You may be wondering why I just don't switch to manual. Well I like being able to change the metadata on the fly without having to send another copy of the book to the device, while deleting the older copy.
The only metadata the driver changes on the device is the reading status and the shortlist entries. Nothing else gets changed. If you change the title of a book, you have to delete it from the device and resend it to get the update.
Quote:
The other reason is that my "currently reading" section also gets screwed up(just like if I don't have the correct tags in auto management, all my "read" books become 99%, or my currently reading is not saving) when I use manual management. Is there something I need to change in manual management to correct this issue?
The database on the device stores a reading status (Unread, Im_Reading, Read and Closed) and the percent read. Looking at the database on my Touch, the percent read doesn't always get set to 100 when the book is marked as Read. So, if something happens that the status gets set back to "Im_Reading", the device will show the 99%.

If metadata management is automatic, the driver sets all books to unread. Then for each book that has the tag for another status, it updates the status. It is likely the that if device sees a book as unread but a percent read other than zero, that it shows this rather than unread.

If metadata management is manual, nothing should be changed in the devices database. The driver reads the status and shows it in the device list, but it doesn't change it. If the read status is being lost, then something else is going on.
Quote:

I have not tried transferring something with manual management yet, so I do not know if it takes 40 minutes for the metadata as well, but I will check that out.
It shouldn't take that long, but I would be interested to hear.
Quote:

Last but not least, my Kobo is still trying to process something regardless of whether or not I change anything in it's library. I am under the assumption that I might just need to hard reset the device to get rid of this issue at least.
That might be a book that isn't being processed properly. If there is a problem processing a book, then the device stops processing it and any more on the device. So, the book doesn't get added to the database. The next time you connect to USB and disconnect, it will try again. Unfortunately, it is a manual process to work out which is the bad book. You need to look at the file system and compare it to what is displayed in the device library. You can do this when connected by looking at the device list in calibre.

With some of the other problems, this might be a sign that the database is bad. It might be processing the book and adding it to the in memory list of books. When it writes the database, if there is a problem, it might not be able to save the changes.

Your loss of reading status might also be a symptom. You read the book, it gets marked as read but when you connect to USB the status is lost because it can't write the database and it rereads it from an old state. A test for this would be to connect to the PC without calibre and then do a safe eject and see if the status is lost. If it is, the database is bad.
Quote:
I will be trying calibre in debug mode tonight, I will upload the log when it is finished.
Ok. I will be interested to see it.

Last edited by davidfor; 11-13-2012 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Remember to refresh before posting!
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote