View Single Post
Old 05-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (plus lots of older devices)
Need some advice and suggestions from all the brilliant MobileRead members

The private school where I work is introducing tablets next year and I have been tasked to coordinate the entire thing. They are buying 1200 7" A10 Android tablets from Shenzhen (we are located in Mainland China) and our students will all get one. I got an advance copy of the tablet yesterday, and to be honest, I am not overly impressed. Compared to my iPad, it is pretty rough. However, I am going to have to deal with these and since I will be the guy that everyone will turn to with questions and problems, I will need answers.

First of all, I need recommendations for apps suitable for education. Free apps preferably. Since we are ordering lots of these directly from the factory, we can have apps preinstalled so it would be nice to have them ready to go. The school will purchase paid apps but of course they will prefer free but paid app recommendations are useful as well.

Also, many teachers will primarily be using these as paper replacements by having PDF files on them. I uploaded a PDF I had made using LaTeX and was not too impressed by the size and quality. To be fair, the PDF I had made was optimized for A4 paper. What are the ideal settings when creating PDF files for ideal viewing on a somewhat lower resolution 7" tab? Been doing some searches for this but am having no luck. Any better viewers of PDF files other than Adobe? The only other one on the tablet was PDF to Go and it put black splotches all over the PDF file, which was weird.

I use GoodReader on my iPad for reading and storing PDF files and it is an excellent program. Is there an equivalent free version for Android?

Finally, we plan on using Moodle. Can anyone recommend a good Moodle app for Android? I found that going online directly with the tab was not an overly pleasant experience.

Any advice, suggestions and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Tom Swift is offline   Reply With Quote