View Single Post
Old 09-11-2011, 09:42 AM   #5
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
I really think this sort of thing stinks.

Books have already gone to a blockbuster model, where big name authors make 90% of the sales (stats made completely up, but it's very lopsided).

About the only way indie authors could compete was by pricing their stuff low.

But this seems to me as a way for the blockbuster model to completely wipe out indies, by competing at the same price point. I mean, why give Joe Blow a try for $1-3 when that same price buys a short story from a massively hyped and advertised author?
I was thinking that this was a way for publishers to compete for the cheap reads crowd without lowering prices for their bestsellers. Still, the lengths of the pieces are different. 2.99 buys you just a short story from King; it buys you a novel from an indie.
Mike shatzkin once said that indie authors who attack major publishers for high prices should be careful what they wish for. Consumers may well decide to pay for a shorter piece from an established author than a full length novel from an unknown.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote