View Single Post
Old 03-04-2009, 05:19 PM   #27
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
So I finally got around (avoided work enough) to looking at the K2 to see about custom screen savers. I used the 2.0.1 update binary and Igor Skochinsky's work to create a fake update and dump the /opt/amazon directory to the user accessible portion of the flash memory.

Things of note:
1) On the kindle 1 screen savers were raw 2bit images that were gzipped. K2 just uses standard PNGs.
2) There doesn't seem to be a way to add custom screen savers, but I'm admittedly bad at trying to disassemble java class files and figure out what's going on.
3) I was, however, able to create another update binary that does nothing but change the SCREEN_SAVER_DIR variable in /opt/amazon/ebook/config/framework.mario.conf from the default location of /opt/amazon/ebook/screen_saver to /mnt/us/system/screen_saver and this lets me put any PNGs I want into my system/screen_saver folder and have custom screen savers again.

Hopefully someone better at reverse engineering compiled java classes can figure out if there's a way to use our own screen savers without editing system files. But until then this method is working for me at least.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote