View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 05:34 AM   #121
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Just chiming in to relate to an earlier micro-discussion in this thread:
As PDF reader, I would recommend PDF Expert, albeit its steeper price compared to Goodreader...
Has a more elegant UI,
has a more dynamic cropping feature (it just locks screen orientation and you can still pan with two fingers, in case you accidentally cropped something out, ezPDF I found to be the worst, it uses, or used to use at least, the Acrobat mechanism for cropping which really cut of margins, which had to be restored in Acrobat X),
has great annotation features: same set, but, at least for me, a superior implementation... when you hold a word to bring up the marker, you can drag along and include more words, much like Kindle does it, afterwards you get to select the type of highlight... awesome for reading full screen without toolbars annoying you, while still retaining the full feature set and normal page flipping (Goodreader users know what I mean),
and finally, it has great Dropbox auto sync, never lost a book while never having had to worry about clicking that sync button when going back to my desktop for review...
Ah yes, and the "export notes" options are more elegant, you can create PDF files with them and print, mail and review them on other computers...
Only limitation compared to Goodreader: highlighting and underlining colors are predefined, no palette... If that doesn't turn you off, give it a try... (and I'm not affiliated only super stunned by its awesomeness)

EDIT: just came to my mind: almost everything i described here in terms of PDF _reading_ features (as opposed to editing etc) is included in the same company's free "Documents" app (same engine, same highlighting, autosync, note export)... I think the only feature I am missing in "Documents" is having multiple PDFs open at the same time, something I sometimes use when looking stuff up in multiple books... If you can live with that, you don't have to spend a cent to improve your reading workflow (god I know I sound like an advertisement today)...

Last edited by johnnyb; 02-03-2013 at 05:39 AM. Reason: addtion
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote