View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 07:06 PM   #141
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitford13 View Post
And another one just went free on Amazon US...(think I'm experiencing a little freebie giddiness today!)
Have had this on the WL for a while, am hoping it's a series worth getting into:

A Famine of Horses: a Sir Robert Carey Mystery by P. F. Chisholm

"In the year 1592, Sir Robert Carey, a handsome courtier, comes north to Carlisle to take up his new post as Deputy Warden of the West March. He has wangled his appointment to be nearer his true love, a married woman, and farther from the gimlet eyes of his creditors and the disapproving eye of his father (the Queen’s cousin—possibly her half-brother). And of course, he can use the money….

Sir Robert is quick to realize he won’t see a profit from the perks if he fails to keep the peace. Alas, he is quickly challenged by the murder of a local lad, the possible betrayal of a disappointed rival, the ire of the lady’s husband, and the question of the horses—the hundreds of horses being stolen from all over the neighborhood. It’s hard to say whether the greater danger lies without the city walls amidst the scheming Scots—or within, amidst the unruly English garrison.

Rich in atmosphere and packed with vivid real and fictional characters, few novels are as well imagined or as much fun as this romp through roguish courtiers, rival gangs, rustling, treason, and high ambition."

ETA: both posts updated to add that the most recent freebies are now on Amazon US.
I like this series, having read (most of) it in DTB quite a while ago. If you like historical mysteries, it's quite a nice series. The books are not as cozy as Ellis Peters/Brother Cadfael or Elizabeth Peters/Amelia Peabody. OTOH, they aren't too bleak either. Some historicals can be pretty rough: as much as I know, for example, that sewer systems weren't the greatest in the past, I really don't enjoy having the detailed sight and smell of offal running down the street described to me while I'm trying to have a bit of fun escape . These avoid that level of detail.

The plots are good. Although I'm not the sort to try to really nit-pick mystery plots while reading, they seemed to hang together pretty well to me. And there are enough historical characters to pick up a bit of history along with the stories.

I was happy to find these available in e-book a while back and bought them from Kobo or BoB (can't remember which) with some discounts.

I think it's well worth the time (especially since no money is required) to try the first one and see if you like it, if you tend to like historical mysteries.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote