View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012, 08:20 PM   #27
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
So ebooks become a premium service? What of those on limited incomes? I thought libraries were supposed to provide equal access.

Actually, requiring a physical visit to checkout ebooks does provide a benefit if it becomes the only model whereby the big publishers will allow their ebooks into the libraries.

Regardless, I oppose ebook fees and I oppose requiring physical visits to checkout ebooks.
I'm not advocating either, I'm just saying requiring the physical visit is totally absurd and arbitrary. It's like the utility company telling me I can't pay online anymore, I have to come to the office.

Personally, if my library required a physical visit, I would not check out any books--before e-books I don't think I set foot in the library as often as once a year. If my library required payment for an e-book checkout, I would pay it--it's kind of what I do by having a Philadelphia nonresident library card, and it's a great bargain.

But both proposals are monumentally stupid.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote