View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011, 04:19 PM   #14
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by karunaji View Post
I wouldn't call it hacking but rather pushing it.

Companies will not change their policy directly but it can potentially lead to change in longer term if they see the opportunity. I already mentioned that in Latvia one cell phone company promised to never sell prepaid SIM cards but changed their policy very quickly when competitors used it.

Amazon is not stupid and they will not discontinue Kindle. They may discontinue Kindle's free 3G however and that will have some negative consequences to some people and some positive consequences to others.

It has already been answered in some other place why it is not possible to use Kindle SIM card for tethering – because it allows access only through Amazon's proxy. It means that Amazon already fully controls their data usage. However, exploring this possibility still has some potential, for example, finding out how to use Kindle for tethering with another SIM card.
I meant ban the kindles abusing the 3G, not discontinue kindles. Also, hacking is defined as doing anything the product was not meant to, and internet tethering is considered hacking. Using the Kindle with another sim card is easy. Just put the new card in, and edit the /etc/ppp/chat/connect-1 (or some file like that) and plug in your new APN and connection string.