View Single Post
Old 01-15-2019, 03:07 PM   #10
Dazrin
There's my cookie!
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW2, various Android devices
I'm in progress but I am way behind on any reading this year. Only one book completed this year and it was a short one.

My initial thoughts on the introduction, which was written in 1976 about 7 years after the book was published, is that it felt like she thought that her work needed defending and/or explaining. Despite winning both the Hugo and Nebula awards. Were current discussions of the book not hitting her expectations? Did people (do we) just not get what she was going for?

Edit: Explaining isn't the right word. She didn't try to explain the book in the introduction (thankfully) but she was trying to explain why the book was written as it was and the tone was defensive.

Last edited by Dazrin; 01-15-2019 at 03:13 PM. Reason: stated
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote