View Single Post
Old 01-05-2019, 08:30 PM   #9
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2; Kobo Aura One; iPad Pro 9.7
Satoru saved Nana, and in reciprocity Nana helped save Satoru and was his faithful companion on his final journey. There was true love shown in both directions between human and pet.

One of the things I liked about this book was how it flipped our perspective on human-animal relationships. The cat voice wasn't annoying. I thought it was pretty close to how I imagine cats would speak in human language, and the author represented the eccentricities in cat personalities very well. Often we think about our animals and their shortened lifespans compared to humans and how we feel when they pass on. This book had the animal outliving his human and showed us the animal's perspective and reaction to it.

I loved the section in Chapter 4, "How Noriko Learned to Love," where Nana lists all of his cherished memories. It brought on the tears for me because it was so full of emotion and love and warmth. It starts out with the following statement:
Quote:
Strays, by definition, have been abandoned or left behind, but Satoru rescued me when I broke my leg. He made me the happiest cat on earth. Iíll always remember those five years we had together. And Iíll forever go by the name Nana, the name tható letís face itó is pretty unusual for a male cat. (Kindle Locations 2537-2540)
Then it ends with:
Quote:
I would remember these for the rest of my life. And Kosuke, and Yoshimine, and Sugi and Chikako. And above all, the one who brought up Satoru and made it possible for us to meetó Noriko. Could anyone be happier than this? (Kindle Locations 2550-2552)
I also liked how even Saturo and Noriko become friends despite their rocky start together and Noriko not being a cat person.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote