View Single Post
Old 12-18-2018, 05:29 AM   #52
drofgnal
Guru
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle4NT/iphone/ipad/ipad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I recently started reading War and Peace recently for the umpteenth time. I had never gotten much past the first chapter. So many characters and so many names for each one left me confused. This time it seemed to have clicked and I've read up to book 2 so far.
I bought the Simon and Schuster Maude translation which is a step up from Constance Garnett. The French passages are in English and he sometimes uses the English names (Andrew instead of Andre). There are plenty of maps and footnotes. It's a good deal for 99 cents.

https://smile.amazon.com/War-Peace-m...in%3A618073011
The names can get confusing. There are a few Anna's and sometimes in the Anna Pavlonova's drawing room one of the young princesses is called sometimes by name, sometimes as the 'little princess'. Particular care needs to be had in that first scene as a lot of the important characters are introduced there.

Also best to read about Russian names in the intro, if available and understand nicknames, diminutives, etc.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote