View Single Post
Old 12-17-2018, 06:47 PM   #13
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I just finished the book last night. I felt it tapered off a bit at the end. The best parts, to me, were when we were intimately following the monster, such as he was. I am sure there are numerous layers (beyond the war and corruption) that I wish I understood. I don't know how the Assyrian church, the Muslim community, and the other facets of the society presented coexisted before daily carboumbs and US military raids.

I too am glad to have read it though. I read a good deal of translated work, though most from the Japanese. I know enough Japanese to know what tone or phrase a translator might be conveying. I had no such foundation with a translation from Arabic. Gave me many mechanical questions of translation to ponder in addition to the substantive questions about the material.

Last edited by astrangerhere; 12-17-2018 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Typing on an iPad sucks.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote