View Single Post
Old 10-23-2018, 12:27 PM   #66
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
One thing I wondered about when I was reading is that something of a point is made of Dick's religion; he's a lapsed Catholic. It's possible this is just a setup so he would have a ready excuse not to go to church with Vita and the boys, but I can't help thinking there should be more to it. Does it speak to some atavistic affinity he had with the people of the 14th century, still what would be considered Catholic before the Reformation? Or was it raise the issue of mortal sin, as invoked by Roger as he lay dying? Who, if he died unshriven would be condemned to eternal damnation? Are there implications for Dick if he's suddenly cut off from life?

This somewhat ties in for me with the jump ahead in time, but I'm not quite sure how. The change from the vibrant, seemingly romantic past to one of desolation and destruction.
Perhaps being Catholic was something that made him feel more of an outsider in his own time if everyone around him is non-Catholic. But I can't say I thought much about his religion.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote