View Single Post
Old 10-17-2018, 07:34 PM   #31
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
[...] On the other hand, maybe he's mostly asexual. I think his fascination with Isolda indicates his passivity and his desire to remain uninvolved; he'd rather watch an unattainable, imaginary woman than have a meaningful life (vita!) with a real woman.
I still think we're in a bad position to assess Dick's sexuality in this book, we never see what might have been normal for him.

But I do really like your emphasis of comparing Vita to Isolda. I'd been thinking "life" was some relevance to Vita's relationship to Dick, and didn't see it as very significant, but I think you're right, its relevance is in comparison to Isolda. This led me to look up Isolda, which is apparently the Welsh form of Isolde, which is either "fair lady" or (according to babynames.com) "she who is gazed upon". Ha! It's almost corny in its directness, the author having her little joke with the story.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote