View Single Post
Old 02-16-2018, 10:13 PM   #60
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
As an impecunious mixed-race orphan, Clare may have thought Jack was the best of limited options. And at 18, I don't think she could be expected to understand the psychic toll of passing. In some ways, Clare is a cross between Melania Trump and Princess Di.
Now there’s an interesting thought!

Clare’s options would have been very limited, AND she wanted to escape from her aunts. Career options would have been zero, and quite possibly any sort of work, as we are talking of a book written in 1929. No mention of the crash and the Great Depression, but perhaps that was still in the future at the time of writing.

I must admit I had not read the references to Jews as being derogatory, but I intend doing a quick reread, so will bear that in mind, astrangerhere.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote