View Single Post
Old 02-16-2018, 09:10 AM   #47
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
That's an interesting observation, issybird. I read this book first as an Audible book, driving down on an urgent trip to my DW's aunt. (A LONG two day trip, that we should have made a three day trip.) I really didn't get hit with the inappropriate language during that read, but came away from the book being impressed and moved by the impact of it, while thinking the actual writing was not very good. It was only later, when I had a chance to read it as an eBook that I was better able to define the problems, which are much as you describe.

The thing about this book is that despite those problems, it's impact is still powerful. Now I'm sure some of that is what I bring to the table, in that I've got some (limited) understanding of the knife-edge that "passing for white" has on an individual. And in this book we get the reminder of the risks especially for women in an era where birth control was far from universally or easily available. The isolation from family and childhood friends and community, the need to suppress the anger at the racism around you, and the constant fear of discovery or outing. It's difficult for any white American to really understand and appreciate, except in an intellectual way.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote