View Single Post
Old 01-30-2020, 04:28 PM   #63
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
No.

"Near Miss" means being near someone referred to as "Miss".

But a "near miss" (which I think you meant) is not a hit. "Nearly a miss" would be a hit.

A "near miss" is a miss that is near. The adjective modifies the noun, it doesn't change its meaning.

A "near hit" would be a hit that was almost exactly at the intended point on the target.
I disagree. I believe "near miss" might want to mean a "miss that was near" (what a miss might be near to, I have no idea), but it fails miserably in conveying that. "Nearly collided," fits the bill much better in my opinion.

Besides, there was no stipulation that I be grammatically correct in my reasons for phrase-hating

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-30-2020 at 04:32 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote