View Single Post
Old 11-19-2017, 07:17 AM   #6
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
My first reaction - to the title - was the same as Cinisajoy's: No. But then I read your description and see you mean an extended conclusion/wrap-up.

I'd have to say that the answer is still: generally no. But for epic works and series, especially fantasy, then: Yes, within reason, these can be a good thing; something that has enveloped the reader for this long sometimes needs a longer wrap-up to let the reader down more gently, to avoid feeling as if they've just been dropped out of the world.

As much as I like the conclusion to Lord of the Rings, I think it would be harder to get away with this now (the sacking of the shire, at least, would probably have to go; it's too much like a completely new story).

But this: "But then there's another 3-4 chapters of cleanup I need to do after that with the main characters in order to setup for the followon sequel," would worry me. This makes it sound like you're not actually ending your series at all, but dragging it on - which can be very annoying when you've been expecting a conclusion. Do you really need to set up your sequel as part of ending the first series? Why can that not wait for the sequel itself? (Quite likely not as the introduction, but as snippets fed to the reader as they get into the sequel.)

Remember that it is common these days for books to include some teaser chapters for a new book at the back of a book. So you may be able to have your cake and eat it too. That is to say, close off your first series neatly and cleanly (no next series set up; give a real, satisfying conclusion) but still give the reader the chance to be enticed into the next series (if that is what they want). Properly presented (as teaser chapters for a new book) lets the reader decide if/when to read them, and sets up entirely different expectations.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote