View Single Post
Old 11-01-2013, 07:17 AM   #17
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleyx View Post
Download by torrent is a good idea, but I wonder how to implement that for the Linux version of the installer (which, thanks to the power of Python, automatically detects the latest version, downloads, and installs, without the need for a pesky browser and mouse clicks).

...Of course, after a quick search, the real problem becomes one of choosing the right package from the dozen or so available...

Another way to reduce the load would be to build incremental updates alonside full installs. I don't expect the delta from 1.8 to 1.9 to weight much compared to a full 1.8. We'd need some data about version fragmentation to determine if it's worth the pain, though.

Hm. Just for fun, I'm gonna make some experiments on that one anyways.
Why a problem: The dot_torrent file is small

The check for new versions only has to decipher the OS (which it does now) and grab the (current) .torrent related and see downloads peg my bandwidth capacity once there are 10+ seeders

I have been using Ubuntu's .torrent files for many versions
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote