View Single Post
Old 08-23-2022, 01:30 PM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As usual, you are posting what you want and not actually reading the posts you are responding to. I know there are books that use monospace. Hell, you named this one in your earlier post. But, how many other books are there that use monospace? It is absolutely tiny when compared to number that do not use monospace. That means that adding the support is not necessarily desirable as it will only help a tiny number of their customers. As with most commercial developers, they will choose to spend their development time and money on things that will help the highest number of their users. And of course, make sure you tell Kobo it is a problem. They do make changes based on user reports. Maybe yours will be the one to move this far enough up the queue to be done.
I know this does not effect all that many eBooks. But it does effect some. According the the ePub standard, monospace should work. It's not supposed to be an optional thing to implement.

And for curiosity, I looked at the preview of "Planetfall" that Kobo has. Unless one of the embedded fonts is actually a monospace font, it does not have any use of monospace in it. In chapter 1, there does appear to text messages. The first one is the text "Ren—come to the west gate." These use the class "left1" which is defined as:

Code:
p.left1 {
font-family: "Arial", sans-serif;/**font-family: "BriemAkademiStd";**/
font-size:85%;
margin:1.5em 0 1.5em 1em;
}
Which appears to use Arial and falls back to sans-serif. Not monospace.

Maybe I am wrong about that line of text, but, the word "monospace" does not appear in the stylesheet. From my experience with previews, Kobo strips out the chapters after the preview and updates the ToC to point to a non-existent file. They do not appear to do anything with the stylesheet.

And as the book you have does not match the code that I can see in a legal version, I have to ask where did you get it? Are you sure it is a legal copy?[/QUOTE]

Have a look at the preview for Planetfall from Overdrive. It does show the text messages in a monospace font.
I got it from Kobo US. The preview from Kobo US shows the text messages to be in a monospace font.

But, when I look at a preview at Kobo AU, I do see a sans-serif font used.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote