View Single Post
Old 09-16-2018, 10:31 PM   #29
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
I haven't re-read it this time around but I did read it a few years back and enjoyed it with some reservations.

It is a little frustrating that some of the "why?" questions aren't better dealt with, as they would be in "good" SciFi but Ishiguro isn't really interested in the SciFi aspects of the book, it's just a device, a metaphor to allow him to talk about mortality. And he does that rather well, with well-drawn characters and affecting relationships.

Here's Ishiguro talking about the novel when the movie came out.
Thanks for the link. It is very interesting to hear his explanation ... but I am very glad that I read the book first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
[...] I haven’t been able to identify exactly why they don’t live up to my expectations. However, they keep me thinking about them long after I turn the last page, so I persist to read his books. [...]
Yes, it is that "thinking about them long after" that gets to me too.

I've been saying that I enjoyed Never Let Me Go, but fascinated by it is probably more accurate. It quickly became apparent that it would not be a happy tale and so a certain amount of dread accompanied the experience, and there is little to lighten or alleviate that feeling. This makes it hard to espouse unreserved enthusiasm for the book. It's more, "I think this is a really good book but ..."
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote