View Single Post
Old 11-28-2011, 04:14 PM   #212
jimad
Connoisseur
jimad is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Reading EPUB books on KFire:

(With apologies to androidees who are experts and this all "obvious" -- android and working around the KFire limitations is all new to me)

I'm having pretty good luck "sideloading" various android-compatible epub reader apps onto Kindle Fire. This is useful, for example, if one wants a single hand-head ereader device to "check out" the successfulness of how one's ebook creation efforts are going -- in both mobi and epub file format. You can also obviously check out an html "ebook" version using the Kindle Fire's web browser. This is useful, for example, when smooth reading an html ebook one is working on for submissions to gutenberg.org

Sideloading is described at:

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/11/kindle-fire-sideload/

A collection of common android epub reader apps in the needed APK format is available at:

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...allation-pack/

A more recent version of FBReader is available at:

http://www.fbreader.org/FBReaderJ

-- get the Android 1.6-2.* devices version

Personally I'm getting the most satisfaction out of Aldiko. [The goofy scratchmarks in the background "paper" of Aldiko can be removed via Settings.] One can import epubs placed in the location:

X:\eBooks\import

where "X:" is the location of the Kindle Fire when attached to your computer using a USB cable. For example "X:" is actually file location "J:" on my computer because locations D: through I: are used for various camera SD card reader thingees. In general when you hear androidees talking about the "sdcard" location that location corresponds to "X:" when the KFire is attached to your computer. So when they say:

sdcard/eBooks/import

that corresponds to:

X:\eBooks\import

when attached to a Mickeysoft computer. The final trick is figuring out at what directory locations each of these ebook reader apps expects to "import" epub ebooks from -- each seems to expect a different directory. B&N gets it from X:\Nook\MyDocuments and the "refresh" tiny button in the upper right hand corner of the "nook library" page causes B&N to check to see if there are any new books at that location -- but I think I can only get the "refresh" button to actually work when one is on the page "My Files/Books" and then after refreshing I go back to "My Files" and the new book appears. One can move ebook files around on KFire either using your computer file browser when tethered by USB, or by using the KFire's included Quickoffice app's File Manager/Internal Storage -- the scissors symbol "cuts" a selected file and the clipboard symbol "pastes" that file.

(Also pretty happy with B&N Nook Reader for Android, available as an APK at various places on the internet.)

Overdrive for Android also installs successfully allowing one to download and read epubs checked out from your local public library [but don't try to read them from the Overdrive EPUB browser itself, which stinks, I use B&N instead] and nowadays one can also borrow mobis via an Amazon Store route from your local public library. Often libraries only have a particular book in mobi, epub, (or pdf) format so its helpful to have routes for all of the above.

None of this requires "rooting" so in theory it shouldn't be making Amazon unhappy with you.

Let me know if you need any more help getting this to work for you. Don't you wish you just had one device that would just let you buy, borrow, sell, and read whatever you want from wherever your want without all this silly vendor-specific rigermarole???
jimad is offline   Reply With Quote