View Single Post
Old 11-10-2017, 09:30 AM   #74
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
I did say, "useless or ugly fonts". Mostly books produced by amateurs who probably didn't even notice they were embedding a font. Often pretty mediocre ones, no aesthetic or practical value.
If I notice any styles with a specific font defined I have a look at how and why they are applied. Sometimes for instance a font for "special" characters that might have been necessary in their document on their PC, ugly as it looks with the mismatched font, but knowing the symbol is part of all the built in fonts so the font and the span applying it can be deleted.

Rarely there are books with a nice font that someone did deliberately choose. I might keep them. Or ones with a more decorative font for headlines. Preferable to those who have a text image for all their chapter titles.

Don't know exactly what you mean by "fancy fonts", but of course never sensible to use decorative fonts for body text, for the reasons you give. I might use a "fancy font" for a few words, maybe titles or headlines, not for blocks of text. (Again, except when the publisher insists; and I don't use fancy fonts for body text in any format. 95% of the time I use Adobe Garamond for print.)
Here's an example of a *really* bad decision on the part of the book formatter. I don't know what font they embedded for this, and to tell you the truth, I don't care what font it is. The only thing I care about is that I had to get up and put on my glasses last night when I was reading in bed, because I couldn't read it without them.

I know I could fix it by editing the book and stripping the fonts, but I shouldn't have to, and to be honest, I'm too lazy. If, when I finish the book, I decide that it's one I want to read again, I'll probably fix it. I *really* shouldn't have to, though, especially considering it's a book from a BPH.

Shari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HorribleFont.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	159946  
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote