View Single Post
Old 01-09-2018, 01:59 AM   #13
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Charlie, I think you nailed it for me. I read "mystery" and couldn't work out why "gay" was relevant. (For all I know Poirot might have been gay, come to that, I'm not ruling out Miss Marple, Mr Satterthwaite, Lord Wimsey ... or Columbo!) And if it's not relevant, why mention it? That combined with the fact that I was putting in votes for half of the books anyway ... I had to cut back somewhere, and Fadeout was one casualty.

I'm almost sorry to see the Tom Holt novel in front - but only because I know I will read it anyway. I became a fan of Tom Holt after "Expecting Someone Taller" and "Who's Afraid of Beowulf". I avidly chased up more of his books ... only to find that they didn't quite have the magic of the first two; most of them were good, they just weren't great. So now I am still interested but have less enthusiasm. Maybe "Nothing But Blue Skies" will be a return to top form - here's hoping.

I like all the nominations, but if I had to pick what I most hope to win, it would probably be Passing or The Amber Fury. These are both books I'd probably have overlooked if left to my own devices, but now they have my attention and I want to read them.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote