View Single Post
Old 10-16-2017, 08:20 PM   #24
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I'm getting older. My memory is going. I'm a slow reader. I like books with familiar characters and worlds. I can be a little obsessive.

So I'm kind of torn. There are a few online book clubs I occasionally take part in. But my heart sinks if I see the book to be read is first in a series. Because I'll end up feeling like I 'ought' to read the rest in the series and even if I enjoy it that feels like pressure. It also leads to the memory problem.

The memory problem is that within a very short period after reading a book I'll have forgotten most of the details. Much of the broad strokes too. So inevitably I have in my TBR pile books which are the next in a series where I kind of want to go back and re-read the earlier books to refresh my memory. But that takes reading time away from new books.

I realise these are idiosyncratic reasons to be ambivalent about series but they're true for me.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote