View Single Post
Old 09-23-2016, 03:15 PM   #14
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
The money thing is rather odd. Yes, there are many who will say that if it's free it can't be any good. And there are those that advise that you shouldn't sell yourself short. But then there are those who firmly believe that giving away at least your early work is the only way find the readers. It's been a while since I've seen Vincent (vyderscope) on here, but his experience made him a believer of this method ... and my experience does not contradict him.

So I don't don't see anything wrong or peculiar with deciding to give away your work. The means of giving it away is something else, and we all have our differences - hence you chose Creative Commons, where I would not.
I know Vincent still posts on Facebook.
I can't count the number of authors i have found due to their free works.

There is nothing wrong with free.

I also know why there is a backlash against free.
Back in 2012 or 2013, I did a quick read of many freebies, it was about 25% very good and 75% unreadable for various reasons. I redid the same thing in 2015, and for the worse the tide had changed and 90% were unreadable.

It appeared that in the early days, more authors cared about their books and wanted to make money. I should mention most of the original 25% have gone on to make extremely good money.

If one wants to Google there were two parts to my quick reads. Member of a certain forum or not a certain forum. The first time, there was a 90% success rate with the forum members. 90% failure with non-forum members. But forums change, people leave and attitudes change.
When I redid with the newer authors, I found it was 90% failure across the board.
This new batch was under the impression that errors don't matter. They don't notice them so no one else should either. And yes, dang near every one of them was an attempted serial with first one free.
(Dang it. Resolve something and give me a teaser.)

Hope this helps clear up the free reasoning.

And I refuse to publicly name that forum.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote