View Single Post
Old 09-20-2016, 02:41 PM   #11
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
At the risk of re-opening an old argument (but, of course, we won't do that ), I see Creative Commons as an entirely a creator thing. Most readers won't care beyond the fact that they can read it for free.

This creator's perspective: I personally have little interest in trying to expand on other people's creative works*. This probably explains why I have never given something like the Creative Commons licence much thought.

But now, having thought about it for a while since you started this thread, I still don't find it an attractive option. Even if someone else wanted to build on my work, I don't think I'd encourage them.

I think it would be different if it was a deliberate collaboration: lots of discussion and give and take, getting a feel for what was being created and having some control over it. But just opening it up to anyone? Not for me. After I'm dead, fine. I won't care. But while I'm alive I want my worlds to remain my territory. I don't really want anyone else messing around in there. It's personal.

* Which is not being critical of those that enjoy such activity. I have read some excellent fan-fiction and some of it is extremely clever. It's just not something that interests me very much. I have done some collaborative work in software development, but I much prefer to work on my own. You can imagine my report card from school: Not a team player; doesn't work well with others.
I'd love it if someone wanted to build on Green Comet. It has lots of places that could be expanded into stories that take off in other directions, and I don't have time to write them all.-)

You're right that Creative Commons is a creator thing. The licenses are there to let creators open up the options in their copyright. All the way from locked down to completely open. These are definitely options for the creator. But they also create variably restrictive options for other people, too. Right from the possibility of reading the book without having to pay for it first*, to having the freedom to pass it on, use part or all of it in something of their own, and even make money with it, depending on how open the license is.

I'm giving my work away. That's the thing that most people have trouble with. How can I put all that work into it, and then not try to "monetize" it? In some cases I get the sense that they think there's something wrong with me, or that it's some kind of trick. Very often they think there must be something wrong with the book. If it's free, then it can't be worth anything, right? Kind of like Free Software. Well, there might be something wrong with me. I'd be surprised if there weren't. But it's not a trick. I'm really giving it away, and there's no hidden cost. And I don't think there's anything wrong with Green Comet. Of course, I can't be the judge of that. I have to rely on the praise I've received from readers, and they don't seem to think there's anything wrong with it either.

I'm with you on the matter of not wanting to expand on other people's ideas. I have to write from my own inspirations. I'm not completely closing that door, though. It could happen.

* In the matter of paying for Creative Commons work, see Unglue.it They've set up a place where people can thank creators for their work.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote