View Single Post
Old 03-13-2017, 08:17 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilmrb View Post
Does anyone think this might be a help in creating installable packages for Linux?

https://www.ostechnix.com/build-linu...tforms-easily/
It might be. But I really don't want to be the one creating multiple packages to test/provide/maintain.

The problem is that Sigil requires a minimum version of gcc/glibc to build/run. That's currently gcc 4.8 and glibc 2.19 (-ish). In the Ubuntu world, that's the area of 14.04 (Trusty). But Trusty doesn't have the minimum Qt5 in its repos (5.4) to be able to have Sigil in it's repos.

So what we basically have is older (pre-gcc4.8, pre-glibc 2.19) machines that Sigil is never going to run on (without major, non-standard upgrades). Then we have a tiny window of OSes that can build/run Sigil, but can't provide it in repos (only Trusty in the Ubuntu world). Then we have newer OSes that are providing Sigil in their repos.

It just doesn't make a lot of logistic sense to test/provide/maintain a slew of packages for the tiny subset of Linux distros that is capable of building/running Sigil, but doesn't already have it available in their package management systems.

I'm still working toward a one-size-fits-all package that will work on all (glibc2.19+) machines, but it may never make it to "official" status. I may make an unofficial version available for the Sigil 0.9.8 release. We'll see.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote