View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012, 09:15 AM   #13
electronicfur
Connoisseur
electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Samsung Note FBReader, Nook Simple Touch FBReader, (Kindle3 died)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Several versions ago calibre did look at attributes of books (modtime, etc) when starting. This was changed. I don't remember the version, but it was a couple of months ago at least. The current version does not look at book attributes unless you have a custom column that contains them (a "formats" column).
I'm using the latest calibre 0.8.69 (portable to avoid any plugin issues) and it does seem to be reading attributes of all books in my library.

In order to test further I created a subset of my large > 10k book library. I need a subset to test because it's so long to open otherwise.

If I copy a subset of the library directory (eg only some of the books and the metadata.db), switch to the library, delete the one custom Genre column (just to be sure), and do a Database Maintenance->Restore Library, then when opening the resulting library, Calibre still read the attributes of all the books.

If however I create a new empty library, and then import the same subset of books into it, then when switching to that library, Calibre does not read the attributes of all the books, it only reads the first book attributes, and the next 6 book cover files.

So if I can figure out what the difference between the two test libraries is, I can work out where the issue lies. Does the first way of creating the subset test library still retain the preferences of the original library that are stored in the metadata.db? I'm guessing it does, and something in the preferences is causing Calibre to read all files.

Cheers,
EF
electronicfur is offline   Reply With Quote