View Single Post
Old 01-21-2021, 06:10 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightrider247 View Post
I will try to point out my options - in light of your comments:

A) free flowable - likely MOBI
-main pro: compatibility
-Quesion A1): What I dont like about that option is that I can make notes when I touch on the picture ... at least that is my point of view on my Kindle Paperwhite ... and yes .. that is just one device ... is there a way of prohibiting that in free flowable pages?
-Question A2): What tool would you guys suggest or use in order to create such a photobook? If using Kindle Create then I would have to start with a Word file ... wouldn't I?
A. The thing is Amazon is requiring your eBooks to be KFX compatible. So that means it has to work in KF8, KFX, and Mobi.
A1. You want to be the most compatible. So forget any Kindle specific features. Just forget they exist and go with the most common set of features. If you want to be the most compatible, make your eBook into an ePub 2 format eBook and use that as the source for your Kindle eBook.
A2. Do you know how to code CSS/HTMLif not, the frst thing to do is go learn CSS/HTML. The thing is, none of these programs such as Kindle Create is going to generate code that's not all that good. Forget Word.

Another thing you'll need is a number of different devices with different screen sizes to test your eBook with to make sure it works well. The other problem is that for the images that are landscape, they won't display as well as the images that are portrait because of the width of most portable devices. Take a look at your average fantasy eBook with a map. If the map is landscape, it's not easy to read on an eInk device. I rotate so the map is landscape to be easier to see. But you can't do that.

Quote:
B) fixed layout
-main con: compatibility
-Question B1): Is there a way to have reach maximum compatibility today with the comic book option (e.g.: using the old comic creator etc.) or is it really the processing like stated? Cause if, then B is not an option anymore.
And: What size and ratio should I be using, if it was an option? Simply the one of the pictures?

Regarding comics: My plan was to make each page one panel ... so it would go from page to page.
Regarding time of submission of the book linked: I see a lot of them published in mid 2019. So I see a date and very few reviews. :-)

So, the basic and most important question of my entire post is: What tool should I be using in order to create a free flowable book in order to create a photo book that meets my 2 main goals?

Thank you!
knightrider
Forget fixed layout. It's just not going to work and it will end up being available on a small subset of devices. Make it comics and you again limit yourself.

You are trying to do this in ways that will not work well and will not be compatible. It needs to work on Kindles, Kobos, Pocketbooks, Onyx Books, iPads, iPhones, Android based phones and tablets. Plus, you don't know what software is going to be used to view this.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote