Old 02-23-2012, 01:16 AM   #19
kimkindle
kimkindle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Hi geekmaster,

you wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I think that ~exec is disabled in the Kindle 3, which is WHY a jailbreak is needed to run linux commands.
Except for that one lucky guy in here who received an improperly reseted device from Amazon ('/test'-directory)

Quote:
To run linux commands on your Kindle without a jailbreak, you must exploit a security loophole somewhere in the Kindle,
But that sounds like a hell lot of work - for instance the busybox comes with an implementation of wget that might be prone do that 'serverside-generated-names' bug, but does WebKit make use of wget and is it run with extended privileges? Well, question best to be answered from 'inside', I'ld say.

Quote:
You can study the different Kindle 3 jailbreak source code (yifanlu's or NiLuJe's) if you want to learn how they work and what Kindle 3 bugs they exploit.
Which one do you prefer? Only had a look at yifanlus sources for now: http://yifan.lu/p/kindle-jailbreak/

Allthough the published src is 0.5.0 and the hack I need is 0.5.1, I think the 'magic' part is the hook.dat which foists any arbitrary bin upon the kindle!?

Actually I'm afraid I don't dare to set up the required toolchain to compile myself, chiefly due to lack of time -- but if you could provide some nicely written HOWTO on that topic, I'ld be glad to read...

Greetings

Kim
kimkindle is offline   Reply With Quote