View Single Post
Old 09-04-2010, 11:45 PM   #9
MR. Pockets
Addict
MR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Aluratek Libre Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
It you can read ebooks with it, it's an ereader. It may may simply also do other things.

My device of choice for reading ebooks is a Palm OS PDA. I like it precisely because it performs a number of other functions as well as displaying ebooks, and want any device that night replace it to do likewise. A friend who has one and is a content developer calls the iPad a "media consumption device", and I think he nailed it. Media encompasses a wide variety of things, and so will a generalized device for consuming it. You can't watch YouTube on a Kindle...

Whether you can comfortably read on a backlit screen is highly subjective. I've been doing so for years and never had a problem with it. Others can't, and find eInk displays the only things that make ebooks tolerable, because they [i]can[i] read them for extended periods comfortably.
______
Dennis
Quote:
An e-book reader, also called an e-book device or e-reader, is an electronic device that is designed primarily for the purpose of reading digital books and periodicals...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_e-book_readers

While the terms "ereader", "ebook reader" etc, are still not clearly defined, that definition (the complete wikipedia definition is a little narrow) is what I consider an ereader to be. The iPad clearly does not fit that definition. I'm not trying to be in your face/argumentative. I just have a problem with people calling the iPad (or other tablets) an ereader.
MR. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote