View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011, 10:34 PM   #14
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
US Bookstore Survives Changes in Publishing Industry

Books and bookstores, have been having a hard time in the United States in the last few years. Not long ago, large discount booksellers drove many small, independent book stores out of business. Now, those superstores are taking a hit from on-line and digital book sellers. Borders -- the country’s number two book chain -- recently declared bankruptcy and Amazon says it is now selling more e-books than printed ones. But in New York City, there’s a family-owned, independent book store that is still going strong.

Family-owned business

The Strand Book store, in New York's East Village, is surrounded by huge buildings belonging to New York University. It is more than 84 years old and is among the oldest cultural institutions in New York. It's affectionately known for the row of tables outside, filled with one-dollar books.

More here (nice video too):

http://www.voanews.com/english/news/...130342888.html

The Strand is must see if ever in NYC if you are a book lover, I love that place. What is there moto, 18 miles of books? Last time I was there I bought like 10 hardcovers for less than $60. Mostly basically brand new, reviewers copies.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote