View Single Post
Old 04-01-2015, 03:35 AM   #20
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
I wish to stay out of the politics of the preceding discussion, but I will comment on the word "native."

Words very, very frequently have more than one meaning. Froide and Koland are understanding and using the word in two separate ways.

Two of the definitions that Dictionary.com (I like it, btw, and the sister thesaurus, Thesaurus.com, even more) gives for "native" are these:
1. being the place or environment in which a person was born or a thing came into being:
one's native land.
. . . .
3. belonging by birth to a people regarded as indigenous to a certain place, especially a preliterate people . . . .

Froide is using the word as it is defined first; Koland is using the word as it is defined second ("3." in the dictionary's list). Therefore, it seems that they are "talking past each other."

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 04-01-2015 at 03:44 AM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote