View Single Post
Old 09-17-2019, 09:33 AM   #28518
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I really enjoyed the Sharpe books, myself. I read them all in a fairly short period of time, bar the one which was published later. The "backfill" books were mostly a bit less interesting, but I kind of enjoy learning my history through the prism of fictitious action.
I came to the Sharpe books knowing little about the Penninsular Wars other than the fact of them and that Wellington won them; now I feel conversant with both the major battles and the grand sweep of the action. I also find fiction a good way to approach a historical topic; I can fill in later with a serious, nonfiction work, but it helps to have the framework for a starter. Cornwell gets the history right, too, a critical element. The books aren't perfect, but the characterizations and the dialogue are excellent.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote